Logistics for WUHE Walk
Dr. Dennis Godby will walk across the USA, one-fifth of the country, each year.
- The first leg of the walk (615 miles) will take place in 2022, starting in Myrtle Beach, SC, on September 12, and ending in Knoxville, TN, October 11 (please see attached itinerary). The 2nd to 5th legs will take place from Knoxville to Seattle, 2023-2026.
- Walk with Dr. Godby in South or North Carolina, or Tennessee, only on the safer highways and streets. Walkers are responsible for their own transportation, to and from the walk, and must be wearing extremely reflective gear for safety on the highway. The walking route from town to town is the Google “walking” route, exactly as on the itinerary. Please see itinerary link below!
- Communities along, or near the route, are encouraged to organize and schedule as many educational health events as possible, such as in: schools, libraries, churches, medical offices, restaurants, or other places in town where people gather. Superintendents of schools are great contacts for helping the entire school district to be on board for school events in their districts.
- Dr. Godby will be wearing a backpack, and plan on camping overnight, unless other lodging is provided.
- Each day’s walk will take approximately 7-9 hours, depending on the day’s scheduled distance, and the many conversations along the way. The average miles per day is about 22. Most days, the walk will begin about 8 am, and end about 4, depending on local events planned, and other unforeseen factors
- Contacting media (local and national) is essential through press releases, or phone calls to newsrooms of local media.
- Governors, legislators, mayors, and elected officials would ideally be contacted and “proclamations” of support from these governmental offices would be helpful.
- Churches, temples, mosques, fraternal organizations, and other organizations are encouraged to be invited to host preventive medicine talks for their communities on the day WUHE is scheduled for their town.
- Topics of community forums include, but not limited to: Vitamin D, access to safe drinking water, exercise, fitness, access to fruit and vegetables, nutrition, mental health, and safe and walkable neighborhoods. Your ideas are welcome!
|Day of Week||Date||Events|
|From:||To : Stopping Point||Mileage|
|Monday||9.12.22||Myrtle Beach||Coastal Sleep Lab||23|
|Tuesday||13||Coastal SL||Sidney Service Mart, NC||22.5|
|Wednesday||14||Sidney Service M||Bladenboro||25|
|Thursday||15||Bladenboro||B & C Restaurant||19|
|Friday||16||B & C Restaurant||Fayetteville, NC||Event likely||20.5|
|Sunday||18||Erwin||Ogburn Berries Produce||17|
|Monday||19||Ogburn Berries||Raleigh||Event likely||17|
|Wednesday||21||Durham||Chapel Hill||Event likely||12|
|Thursday||22||Chapel Hill||Snow Camp||22.1|
|Friday||23||Snow Camp||Greensboro||Event likely||26.4|
|Thursday||29||Mooreville||Cornelius||Dr. Lexi Lain||9.5|
|Saturday||10.1.2022||Affordable Suites||S&K Greenhouse||24.5|
|Sunday||2||S & K Greenhouse||Rutherfordton||23|
|Tuesday||4||Bat Cave||Asheville||Event likely||26.2|
|Wednesday||5||Day off walking||Events in Asheville||Event likely|
|Thursday||6||Asheville||French Broad Adventures||23.3|
|Friday||7||FBA||Wolf Creek Bridge, TN||21|
|Saturday||8||WCB, TN||Newport/I-40/Smoky Mtn||19|
|Sunday||9||Newport/I-40||County Line Market||27|
|Monday||10||County Line M.||Knoxville, TN||Event likely||18.6|
|Rev. May 6, 2022|